Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Strawberry Nutella Crepe Cake

Happy Valentine’s Day! I was more excited for this day than usual this year, and it’s probably because I got to try a new recipe I’ve been eyeing for a while: The Crepe Cake. Quin and I hosted a couple girls over for a “Galentine’s Day” dinner (is that the worst thing you’ve ever heard?) Quin was in charge of making a chicken, artichoke and spinach lasagna-eque entre, I made dessert, Melissa brought wine and Kat brought a spinach salad. I made the crepes the night before and it took over an hour and a half to make about 30 crepes. I wanted this thing to be tall.

IMG_1724

When I got home I made the vanilla whipped cream, covered and let it chill, while I cleaned up the house - and myself. Then the fun part, assembling: crepe, nutella, crepe, whipped cream, crepe, nutella with sliced strawberries... Isn’t she pretty?

IMG_1730

Dinner was wonderful, and topped off with a glass of champagne. Recipe for the chicken, artichoke and spinach lasagna coming tomorrow…

IMG_1733

Nutella Strawberry Crepe Cake

3 cups flour|
6 eggs
1 ½ cups milk
1 ½ cups water
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter

1 carton heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Nutella
Strawberries, sliced

Blend ingredients thoroughly with beaters or in blender until very smooth. Ladle approximately ¼ cup mixture into nonstick skillet, and swirl until batter covers bottom of pan in one thin layer. Cook until light brown on the bottom, and flip. Repeat until all the batter is used. If making ahead, cover and chill in refrigerator overnight. (Though I don’t recommend, the crepes are not as fresh)

Using beaters, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to use. Lay crepe on base of cake pedestal or plate, spread with layer of nutella, top with crepe, spread with whipped cream, add crepe, layer of nutella with sliced strawberries, and so on. Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment