Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vegetable Quinoa with Tomato Sauce

IMG_1765

What would I do without Trader Joe’s? I thought I was doomed when I realized I had not gone grocery shopping in over a week, and that I might have to battle the mayhem that is Sunday-Night-at-the-Grocery-Store. Until I opened my freezer and TJ’s frozen vegetables came to the rescue! I threw every frozen vegetable under the sun into a pan with garlic and olive oil, added a can of diced tomatoes and poured it over quinoa.

IMG_1762

I’m pretty sure this would work with any and all other frozen/fresh vegetables out there. When each bag is about $2 and they last indefinitely, there’s no excuse not to eat your vegetables.

IMG_1761

Vegetable Quinoa with Tomato Sauce

1/2 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
red onion
broccoli florettes
artichoke hearts
chopped spinach
peas
corn
leaks
1 can diced tomatoes
dried oregano
dried basil
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese

In a medium saucepan, bring 1/2 cup quinoa plus 1 1/2 cups water to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. In a large skillet heat olive oil and add in red onion and garlic. After a minute, add in frozen vegetables and sauté until almost warmed through. Pour in tomatoes and season. Let tomato mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked and sauce is hot. Pour mixture over quinoa and top with Parmesan. (Serves 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment