Thursday, February 21, 2013

Vegetable & Cheese Stuffed Portabella Cap with Brussels Sprout Chips

I have a new obsession.

IMG_2457

Brussels sprout chips. Kale chips have a special place in my heart, but I could eat these all day. Slice the sprouts into quarters, pull them apart and toss with olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bake at 375 for 10-15, until brown and crispy.

IMG_2459

Per my mother’s suggestion, I watched the Ted Talk on how to live to be 100+. The encouraging news is that most of the centennials did not have dedicated exercise schedules - God knows mine has gone out the window lately. The other good news is that all of these healthy societies were based on hanging out with friends, drinking and eating a predominately plant-based diet. Sounds like I should keep up my weekly happy hours with friends and coworkers. Also, that I should not beat myself up over my gym membership that has become more of an expensive key chain ornament. People can joke about my daily sweet potato for lunch, but it sounds like I’m right on track. This dinner is about as on track as it gets in the vegetable department. And I loooved it.

IMG_2452

 Vegetable & Cheese Stuffed Portabella Caps

2 portabella mushroom caps, stem removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 zucchini, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup rainbow chard leaves, shredded
red wine vinegar
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
fresh mozzarella/grated mozzarella or feta cheese
Kalamata olives, diced
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. In a skillet, sauté zucchini, onion and garlic until translucent. Add chard leaves and sprinkle with vinegar to wilt the leaves. Season to taste and spread half mixture into the bottom of the caps. Lay sliced mozzarella/grated mozzarella or feta on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle olives over the cheese and cover with remaining vegetable mixture. Top with Parmesan and bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment