Sunday, July 14, 2013

Kale, Mushroom & Feta Strata Minis

One of my mental shifts that has come with adulthood is the concept of Sunday.I love Sunday. I might like it even more than Saturday. There’s no pressure to be cool (but the option is there if you feel like it), I can wake up late (7:15!), put my proverbial ducks in a row, and cook all day if I feel like it.

photo (93)

Proper Sunday breakfast: Fried egg on toasted chunk of wheat sourdough, with mango and berries sprinkled with chia seeds.

image (14)

Though I did do a few other things with my day, I spent most of it in the kitchen. After the errands came lunch of course: nectarine, cucumber, corn, tomatoes, parmesan, mint…what didn’t I put in it? Reason #368 why I love summer.

image (15)

I have yogurt/cottage cheese with fruit for breakfast everyday. I decided to change things up (I live my life on the edge) and make mini veggie packed egg-stratas that I can grab for breakfast instead. This recipe is loosely based off of this strata recipe and a concept I saw on Pinterest.

image (16)

From basic strata recipe –> to cute muffin portions.

image (17)

Boom. Breakfast is served…for the next 6 days.

image (18)

Kale, Mushroom & Feta Strata Minis

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 bunch kale, chopped
4-5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk of your choice
4-5 cups rustic bread (I used whole wheat sourdough), cubed
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375. In a large pan, sauté shallot in olive oil for 1-2 minutes before adding garlic. Stir briefly before adding mushrooms and kale. After 2-3 minutes, add in tomatoes and sauté mixture until vegetables are tender – sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Stir in bread cubes and vegetable mixture. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to soak.

Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Scoop mixture into cups and fill completely. Sprinkle parmesan over the tops and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. Allow to cool completely before covering and putting away. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment