Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Thai Red Curry with Vegetables

I'm sure most of you have seen the news about how red and processed meat increases your risk for cancer. Of course I read the article the morning after I made my pork tenderloin recipe. While it isn't a new claim, it is a great reminder to limit weekly red meat intake. (Treat treats as treats) 

For me, a more interesting study came out of our neighbors at UCSF that puts hard facts against the claim that "a calorie is a calorie." When 44 overweight children changed their diet to dramatically reduce sugar, but kept caloric intake the same (eating hot dogs, potato chips and pizza) they showed significant improvements in health measurements in just 10 days. It is studies like these that will wear down the big sugar industry and government to eventually have to step their game up against sugar. This brings me to my recent life update - I signed up for an online General Nutrition course through Berkeley Extension! I'm excited to share things I'm learning in "class" on my blog, and put a little formal education behind all of my ranting and raving. 


This brings us to tonight's meal. My mom trekked across the bay to come to my house for dinner tonight. I made a seasonal thai curry with big chunks of velvety butternut squash and other vegetables in a spicy coconut broth.

Gratitude journal entry: I'm so grateful to have my mom only a few minutes away. We went many years across the country from each other, so we don't take any of our visits for granted. 



 
With mom's help, this dinner was done in just about 20 minutes from start to finish. I recommend pairing with a glass of red wine and Adele's new song "Hello" to get the full effect. 



Thai Red Curry with Vegetables
Recipe: Cookie and Kate
1 cup white rice, cooked per package instructions
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 white onion, chopped
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 cups 1" cubed butternut squash
6-8 baby carrots, chopped on diagonal
3 tablespoons red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups kale, roughly chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sriracha
squeeze of lemon juice
4-5 large basil leaves, sliced plus more for garnish

In a rice cooker or large pot, cook rice. Leave covered.

In a large skillet, heat coconut oil and add onions, butternut squash and salt. Cook onions and butternut squash for about 5 minutes until lightly softened. Add in bell pepper and carrots and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Add curry paste, garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic, a couple minutes. Add in coconut milk, kale, vinegar and soy sauce. Cook down until kale is wilted and butternut squash is tender. 

Stir in basil leaves, lemon juice and sriracha. Taste to make sure no additional salt is needed. Serve over rice with basil on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment