Sunday, November 6, 2011

Healthy Living

I turned a page a few weeks ago to focus on what’s best for me. I kicked this off with a whole house cleaning. Since I’ve started running a lot more – with the plan to do an 8K in December. Seeing friends and branching out. Playing music loudly. Starting a new painting for my room. And now, eating healthfully. Though I consider myself a pretty healthy eater, my weakness is sugar. The three candy bowls at work don’t help. At all. So I’ve decided to kick that addiction, and have desserts when they’re actually worth it.

After a trip to Target and A.C. Moore, I threw everything but the kitchen sink into my salad. Spinach, sliced apple, sugar snap peas, red onion, cucumber, avocado, craisins, and feta topped with homemade vinaigrette. Carrots and celery with sunflower seed butter on the side.

IMG_1455

As for the painting, I’m recreating Monet’s Water Lilies. 454543962_INkpu6XY_c

For dinner, I made a batch of hummus. It’s cheaper than buying it and it makes a ton.

IMG_1457

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 16 ounce can garbanzo beans
Juice from one small lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
3-4 large chunks roasted red peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Turn food processor on and stream in olive oil through the spout, blend until creamy. Taste to make sure it doesn’t need anything!

The hummus and veggie sticks accompanied the main dish, quinoa with vegetables and fried tofu in balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG_1460

Red Quinoa with Tofu & Vegetables in Balsamic Dressing

1 cup red quinoa
2 ounces firm tofu, cubed
Garlic salt
Cayenne pepper
Basil flakes
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large carrot, grated to ribbons
Handful sugar snap peas, quartered
1/2 cucumber, sliced
Feta cheese
Balsamic vinaigrette
Salt and pepper
Avocado slices (if you happen to have it around)

In a small pot, add quinoa and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.

In a skillet, heat olive oil and add tofu. Fry for 4-5 minutes, dusting with the garlic salt, cayenne pepper, basil flakes. salt and pepper to taste. Combine all the chopped vegetables, tofu and cooked quinoa in a bowl. Add feta and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette. If it needs more punch, add a little balsamic vinegar. Top with avocado.

YUM.

Being self centered can actually feel pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment