Friday, December 2, 2011

S’More Bars

Today I took the day off to prepare myself - mind, body and baked goods– for my trip to NYC this weekend. I had a feeling the ROI on an extra hour of sleep and work out would be worth it for the late nights ahead of me. Post work out, I made my favorite breakfast (which I have every morning) plain yogurt, banana slices, granola, scoop of peanut butter, little scoop pumpkin butter. I could eat it for every meal, honestly. Then, because I’ve been going through baking withdrawals, I made s’more bars to bring to Tonya, my host this weekend. Somewhere in this day I’ll also find time to paint my nails, pack my bag, whiten my teeth, shower for the night and make it to Union Station by 4:30. Good thing I took a me-day!

IMG_1509

S’More Bars

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 king-sized milk chocolate bars (or 6 ounces chocolate chips)
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (not marshmallows- they vanished)

IMG_1507

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.

Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. 2 king-sized Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together).

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment