Monday, April 16, 2012

Foodie Stuff & Food in a Hurry

I am one of those (few) people that look forward to making a time consuming, involved recipe on a weeknight. Maybe it's because I get off at 4pm, maybe it's because I just like cooking. Naturally, I don't always have time for these kinds of meals, but sometimes it actually forces you to be more creative when you don't have time to go to the store and must use what's on-hand. This is when frozen vegetables come to the rescue.

IMG_1854

Tonight I had to babysit at 6pm, so I made a "pizza" of sorts. Whole wheat and flax tortilla that I brushed with olive oil and minced garlic and baked for 5 minutes at 400. Then spread with thawed and dried frozen spinach, grated fontina cheese, feta cheese, red pepper flakes and dried basil, and popped it back in the oven to melt the cheese. It was a hybrid between pizza and chip.

IMG_1856

In other food news, my life coach mom sent me a fantastic website, fittingly called Good Food Jobs, that lists THE COOLEST jobs related to food by region. Everything from Good Food Awards Organizer, to Sweet Foods Buyer for William Sonoma in San Francisco, to Sustainable Gardening Coordinator. There are some amazing jobs out there. 

image

On that note (ish), I have a philanthropic weekend planned, involving volunteering for Servathon 2012 at SOME (So Others Might Eat) setting up and running the Healthy Eating & Fitness Fair on Saturday morning. SOME has been feeding and clothing, providing medical care, and providing job training for the homeless and poor of DC for 40 years. I'm excited to actually participate in a community health promotion event. I’ll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Mom IS our life coach. And I'm proud of you for volunteering some of your busy time to help the homeless! I'm gonna call you today to hear how it went. Love, Soph

    ReplyDelete