Saturday, April 7, 2012

How to Eat After a Vacation

IMG_1836

When I’m eating out for every meal, it is almost impossible to eat as healthy as I would at home. *For the record, I’m not complaining about my amazing CA meals* But once I get back, I make eating healthy a priority. I am kind of a Breakfast Diva in that I use so many ingredients for just a bowl of oatmeal.

Everyday Oatmeal

1 serving steel cut oats (from a big batch made at the beginning of the week)
2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
cinnamon and salt
1/2 cup frozen berries(TJ’s cherry and berry mix)
1/2 banana
scoop peanut butter
scoop Greek yogurt
shredded coconut

IMG_1839

I had a cerebral workout at the library, studying for the GRE, which I oddly enjoy – except this particular morning. I missed the memo that it was “bring your baby to the library” day. Crying babies and quadratic equations have an inverse relationship. I knew meal number two had to involve some of my beloved canned fish (I’m so weird), so I made a salmon salad wrap with slices of fontina cheese with mango butter, and carrots with hummus.

Salmon Salad Wrap

1/2 can salmon
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Thai chili paste (or sriracha)
corn
capers
diced pickle
salt and pepper

arugula
lemon juice
wheat tortilla

Combine first 8 ingredients and mix well. Warm tortilla, spread with salmon mixture and top with arugula and lemon juice.
*Tomatoes would also go well in this

IMG_1841

I had a super dorky, but productive and relaxing evening. I started going through my old Bon Appetit’s, Food & Wine and Everyday with Rachel Ray’s, and cut out the recipes I wanted to keep. This is a serious, time consuming activity that cannot be rushed. I’ve been rediscovering gems…

IMG_1843

Look familiar? Sweet potatoes are a staple in my diet. Tonight had a little diced apple, cranberries and Greek yogurt with cinnamon and maple syrup.

IMG_1845

With the sweet potato, I had an arugula salad with sardines, corn, hummus and goat cheese with fresh squeezed lemon juice on top.

Needless to say, it is far easier eating healthfully at home than at restaurants. I think my convictions get mollified by the “when in Rome” philosophy, and I order richer, less healthy meals at restaurants. It’s something I’m working on. In the meantime, I’ll restrict myself to the economical home cooked meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment