Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Day in the Life

These types of posts have been popping up on various food blogs I follow, so I thought I’d give my version. It is amazing how boring consistent my days can be, food-wise. However, this will all be changing next week as I complete my final day of work and head off to worlds unknown. But for now, this is about accurate. First, meet my long-term BFF:

IMG_1887

After my 6:30 a.m. wake up call, I used to immediately start pounding coffee before my drive to work. After I ran out of coffee a couple times, I noticed I had a lot less road rage on my drive to work (perhaps because I am in a zombie-sleeplike state) so I decided I’d now try to hold off before work. However, upon arrival I make a beeline to the Kurig. No stopping and chatting, no checking email, just coffee NOW.

Some exciting emailing, filing, databasing (and food blog perusing) ensues for about an hour until I make my oatmeal.

IMG_1892

A mixture of old fashioned oats, ground flaxseed and cinnamon is topped with thawed frozen berries, half a banana and a teaspoon of peanut butter. It never gets old.

IMG_1893

I may complain about work like the rest of the world, but I am spoiled rotten. Yes I get done at 4 p.m. everyday and I get to attend super cute 3rd grade bake sales, but above all, I get free lunch. A lunch that’s piled high with spinach, vegetables, cheese, fruit… fo’ free. Our salads can get almost obnoxiously large.

IMG_1894

Midday snack: Omega-3 trail mix and some carrots.

When I get home, I immediately throw on work out clothes and get myself out the door or onto my yoga mat before I have time to talk myself out of it and get lazy. It may sound cheesy, but for those painful first few minutes of a run, I replay trite motivational work out quotes in my head to keep going: "Do you want to feel sore tomorrow or do you want to feel sorry?" "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Sweat is fat crying!" ... Thank you Pinterest. 

IMG_1890

These days my dinners have been based on a few parameters: super healthy and vegetable packed (as I hear vegetables are rare in Africa), inexpensive (since moving isn't cheap), and quick. A lot of sandwich thins have been employed in this process. Tonight was a sandwich thin, smeared with olive goat cheese and topped with sliced tomato, avocado and egg whites. On the side, a couple handfuls of spinach topped with cucumber, tomato, black beans and my new favorite dressing: plain yogurt, lemon juice and sriracha. 

By this time it’s close to 8 and I’m close to getting in bed. My roommate and I have made our bedtime progressively earlier each week. The working world just beats you down after a while! Sleeping half-moon

No comments:

Post a Comment