Sunday, July 8, 2012

Skirt Steak Sandwiches with Horseradish Yogurt Sauce & Chopped Summer Vegetable Salad

When I was sitting in my hot (!) little African room for hours on end, waiting for my dinner of plain rice and a hard boiled egg, I would make lists of all of the things I was excited to do when I got home. Since I’ve been back, literally a dream of mine comes true every hour. From sitting on my back porch with this fresh blended mango margarita:

IMG_2111

To my fruit and veggie-packed lunch with homemade dill potato salad:

IMG_2114

And this sandwich. I was inappropriately excited when biting into the soft bread, juicy tomato, charcoal grilled steak and tangy horseradish sauce… I don’t think I’m over it.

IMG_2120

We also went a little nuts at the farmer’s market and splurged on a ton of vegetables to throw into our chopped vegetable salad. You could substitute or leave out any vegetable in this, then add feta and toss in the mint, cayenne and lime dressing. Brilliant. The next dream-come-true is that there are enough leftovers for lunch!

IMG_2121

Skirt Steak Sandwiches with Horseradish Yogurt Sauce

(makes 4 sandwiches)
1.5 lbs skirt steak
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper

1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1-2 teaspoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
ground black pepper

tomato, sliced
red onion, thinly sliced
avocado, sliced
Dijon or honey mustard
fresh ciabatta bread, sliced

Rub steak with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Grill until desired doneness. Let rest, then slice thinly. Spread bread with sauce and top with remaining ingredients.

IMG_2116

Chopped Summer Vegetable Salad

carrots, julienned
china peas, diced
cucumber, diced
fennel bulb, shaved
bell pepper, diced
radishes, diced
sweet corn, sliced off cobb
celery, diced
green onions, chopped

2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1-2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint

Combine all chopped vegetables into large bowl. Mix lime, olive oil, salt, and cayenne, then toss with vegetables. Add in crumbled feta, mint and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment