Saturday, December 26, 2015

Shredded Pot Roast Tacos

We aren't big on traditions in my family. Not because we don't like them, but they just haven't seemed to stick as we've all criss-crossed the country over the years. I think we have two lasting holiday traditions: we open presents on Christmas eve, and we eat slow cooked meat for dinner that has been making the house smell wonderful all day. We aren't big red meat eaters, so this is a particularly exciting meal. This year was unique in that it was the first time I actually hosted my mother for Christmas (in the palace that is my studio apartment), and that it was just the two of us. Sister Sophie is currently bopping around South America.


I was more than happy to oblige the slow cooked meat plan. I found a recipe for slow cooker Maple & Dijon Pot Roast on The Kitchn, which I highly recommend. If not only for the reason my apartment smelled divine for 8 hours. You're welcome, neighbors.


There's only 3 easy steps to this recipe: brown the meat and the bacon (5 min on each side), cook down all the onions in said juices, then dump all of it + condiments and spices into the crock pot. Then be on your way, live your life for the next 8 hours, and let the magic happen. 


Now, I could've shown you a picture of the pile of meat on top of garlic mashed potatoes with a side of rosemary roasted carrots that we had for Christmas eve, but you're better off looking at The Kitchn. Also the small fact that I dove in WAY too quickly to take any photos. Sorry. However, the next night's spin on leftovers was almost as epic as round one. 


You just do not see enough shredded pot roast tacos out there for how incredible these were. Ask my mom, she'll tell you. 

Gratitude Journal Entry: I'm grateful for Christmas, it was great, really very nice. And now I'm equally as grateful that it's over. Walking down Chestnut street when every store is closed is downright creepy. Happy to get back to the hustle bustle :)
Oh, I'm also grateful for my new salt and pepper shakers (pictured). Thanks, mom!

Shredded Pot Roast Tacos
1/2 lb leftover pot roast, shredded
4-6 small corn tortillas
avocado, sliced
tomato, diced
shredded cabbage
pico de gallo
Greek yogurt
lime juice

Heat up the leftover pot roast in a small skillet over medium heat until warm. Over a gas stove, place a tortilla directly onto the flame until lightly charred (about 30 seconds), then flip. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Fill each tortilla with desired taco ingredients and eat immediately. 



No comments:

Post a Comment