Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Ravioli in Browned Butter with Crispy Sage

I've said it before, pasta making is the labor of love. Bruce was sweet enough to offer to help me make ravioli this Sunday. He had greatly underestimated the amount of time and effort he had signed up for. 2.5-3 hours later we had a (mostly) beautiful batch of tender, delicious ravioli piled into a Tupperware for my Monday night dinner party.


You learn countless lessons when you attempt to make pasta. First lesson is you literally can't use too much flour. Second, you shouldn't cut pasta with a chef's knife on a veneer dining room table. Third, and probably most significant lesson, do not put fresh pasta in Tupperware and store in refrigerator - eat it the day you make it. The pasta gets damp and fuses together. You'll need to perform surgery to pull it apart. My once cute, almost professional looking ravioli turned into mangled versions of themselves. Whomp whomp. 


Did I throw it away and make boxed spaghetti? Almost, but no. I tried frying them up in a pan with a little butter and sage, and it was delicious! 


These ravioli were the main course of my "fall" themed dinner party I threw in honor of leaving my studio apartment. Everything is more fun when it has a theme - I learned that in college. The rest of the fall menu included:
grapes / Brussels sprout chips / roasted almonds


arugula salad with figs, toasted walnuts and shaved Parmesan


maple apple crisp with walnuts / vanilla maple ice cream


I found the recipe for the butternut squash and goat cheese ravioli on Xoxo Create, the only difference was that I fried mine up in a skillet with the browning butter instead of boiling it beforehand. Click link for full recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment