Monday, August 8, 2016

Lemon & Blueberry Muffins

I'm moving again! After one year in this pricey marina studio, I'm packing it up and heading to Duboce Triangle to live in a three bedroom with a couple other Tar Heel girls. While it is definitely the financially responsible thing to do, the place is also pretty great. The amenities alone are bringing me back into the 21st century. Like the good southern girl that I try to be, I whipped up a small batch of blueberry muffins for my second visit to the apartment.


There are healthy muffin recipes out there. This isn't one of them (though I did substitute in Greek yogurt for sour cream). 



Man, I'm going to miss those blue counters...False. I will not. 


The recipe I used came from Yammie's Noshery but I added lemon zest and plopped in a couple blackberries. 

Lemon & Blueberry Muffins
2/3 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest from 1/2 lemon
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place eight muffin liners in the pan. Combine the sugar, egg, oil, milk, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl and stir until well combined.

Add the flour, baking powder and salt. I stir the baking powder and salt into the flour right on top of the wet ingredients so I don't have to get out another bowl. Once the baking powder and salt are pretty well distributed in the flour, stir them into the wet ingredients until combined. Don't over-mix, but stir until it's no longer lumpy.

Stir in the yogurt just until well distributed. Fold in the blueberries (I left about half for the top so some would be visible on the crown of the muffin).

Evenly distribute the batter in the muffin tin. If you are making 8 high crowned muffins, you will be filling them all the way to the top. If you want to make shorter muffins you could probably fill 12. If you saved some berries for the top, sprinkle them on and press them in lightly. Sprinkle the tops with the 1 tablespoon of sugar for added crunch.

Bake muffins for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment