Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fresh Corn & Peach Soup

One week on the job under my belt and I am obsessed. I never thought I’d wake up on Saturday morning and be disappointed I wasn’t heading into work. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy my Saturday. I sniffed out the closest farmers market, which as you would expect, was fabulous.

photo (41)photo (42)

photo (43)photo

Tempting baked goods, gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, mountains of flowers and a liege waffle TRUCK. Right next to a rotisserie chicken truck… chicken and waffles unite!

IMG_2133

Somehow I resisted all of the food stands and made lunch: a goat cheese and caramelized onion quesadilla and fresh, fruity salad. Ingredients: spinach and mixed greens, half a diced peach, avocado, cucumber and cherry tomatoes topped with a vinaigrette of orange marmalade, olive oil, lemon, hot pepper sauce and honey.

IMG_2135

What else would I do on relaxing days off but fill it with cooking? I researched a recipe for fresh corn soup, in hopes of recreating the delicious version I had at Foreign Cinema. I found this recipe on Whole Foods’ site that married my love for peaches and corn. It’s light, sweet and summery.

IMG_2134

IMG_2137

Fresh Corn & Peach Soup

Serves 3-4
3 ears sweet corn husked
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white miso paste (or a mixture of tomato paste and soy sauce)
1/2 onion diced
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
pinch cayenne
1.5 large ripe peaches
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
6 basil leaves sliced
feta cheese

With a sharp, heavy knife, cut kernels from corn cobs and place cobs and kernels in a soup pot. Add broth, water, miso, onion, garlic and cayenne. Peel, pit and finely chop 1 of the peaches and add to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until corn and peaches are very tender, about 30 minutes.

Use tongs to remove and discard corn cobs; cool soup to room temperature. Puree half of soup in a blender and return to pot. Stir in almond milk. To serve soup hot, reheat gently over medium heat, stirring frequently; do not allow to boil. To serve cold, refrigerate until chilled.

Halve, pit and dice remaining peach; ladle soup into bowls and garnish with peach, feta and basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment