Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Baked Onion Rings & A Healthy Dessert

I never eat onion rings. Literally never. Doesn’t mean I don’t like them, but they’re a lot like French Fries (of which I also never eat) – always deep fried. I don’t know why I haven’t thought to bake them before. This recipe is extremely basic, but downright good. So crunchy and light, but with the same great onion ring taste. And what isn’t good covered in spicy mustard?

*Along with my onion rings, I topped toasted bread with more spicy mustard, an Andouille sausage, sautéed onions and fresh sauerkraut. A nod to my Polish roots.

IMG_2262

Baked Onion Rings

1 onion, separated 1/4” sliced rings
1/2 cup flour
1 egg white
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a cookie sheet. Place flour, egg white and bread crumbs plus spices in three separate bowls. Dredge onion rings through flour, then egg white and coat with bread crumb mixture. Lay on cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until lightly brown.

IMG_2265

My healthy dessert (healthy as far as desserts go) of choice right now is a brown rice cake topped with chunky peanut butter, (1) chopped date, 1/2 a banana, Greek yogurt and sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice.

2 comments:

  1. Eating healthy doesn't mean skipping dessert. Check out these deliciously, healthy recipes.healthy desserts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learn your weblog it is vitally useful for me. I need to say due to you. I've bookmark your web site for future updates.Clash of Clans Generator

    ReplyDelete