Sunday, November 22, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash with Pomegranate & Pecans in Tahini Maple Dressing

Is it just me or are persimmons the new kale? I see them everywhere. I know they're in season but they're at every stand at the farmer's market, grocery store, restaurant menu, Pinterest page. This is the first season I've really embraced persimmons. I had an incident with an unripe Hachiya persimmon a couple years ago that turned me off of them for a while. Do not, whatever you do, eat a Hachiya persimmon that isn't completely soft, or your mouth will dry up in a severely uncomfortable way. 
I've been eating Fuyu persimmons all month but this was my first ripe Hachiya. Dang, it was incredible. The cute, hippy farmer girl gave me the best one in her stand. Find these in a farmer's market near you immediately. 


Unlike persimmons, Delicata squash couldn't be found anywhere today. The recipe from Minimalist Baker originally had Delicata, but butternut squash played really well tonight. (Maybe I should chill on the Friday Night Lights episodes).


Something else I became obsessed with today: tahini. Hello, it's in hummus, I knew it wouldn't be bad. But as the star in it's own sauce, it really freaking good. Tahini founds it's way into both of my dishes tonight.


I'm not sure which one I liked more. This white bean and kale salad in tahini dressing I will definitely make again. Garlic French bread croutons on anything though...


Gratitude journal entry: I'm grateful for yoga. It's always a good activity for a Sunday to sweat out the weekend, breath in and out for the week ahead and remember that everything in this moment is okay. 

Roasted Butternut Squash with Pomegranate & Pecans in Tahini Maple Dressing
Squash
  • 1 butternut squash (or 2 Delicata squash), halved lengthwise, seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • Pinch sea salt
Dressing
  • 3 Tbsp tahini
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced 
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup
Toppings
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
  • 1/4 cup dry roasted pecans, loosely chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
  2. Add sliced squash to a bare baking sheet (1 large or 2 small, depending on size of squash) and toss with oil and sea salt, then arrange in a single layer.
  3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once at the halfway point to ensure even baking. You’ll know it's done when fork tender, golden brown, and slightly caramelized.
  4. While squash is baking, prepare dressing by adding tahini, lemon juice, and maple syrup to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine, then add hot water 1 Tbsp at a time and whisk until pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
  5. To serve, arrange baked squash on a serving dish and top with dressing, pomegranates, pecans, and parsley. Best when enjoyed immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment