Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Sautéed Salmon with Capers, Tomatoes & Chard

For as long as I've been buying groceries, I've had an aversion to buying excess of what I'll use in a week. Sometimes I'll only buy enough for half the week. 2 bananas, 1 can of tuna, 6 pack carton of eggs... you get the idea. I've been made fun of for this, but I have three reasons why for this behavior:

1. I walk to the grocery store (1.7 miles each way to my TJs). That walk back will make you question whether or not you truly need that second can of beans. 
2. Throwing out bad food makes me incredibly angry with myself. As if I've failed at a task, the task of eating. (Also, America fails at the task a lot. Estimated 25-40% of food goes to waste each year). 
3. I feel an incredible sense of accomplishment when I've managed to clean out my fridge in a week. In my mind, I've succeeded at the task of eating. 

Tonight put me one step closer to cleaning out my fridge. A few fresh vegetables and some stocked away leftovers came together in a fresh, healthy meal. What to do with a single frozen filet of salmon, nearly-too-old cherry tomatoes, 1/4 of an onion, and leftover broth? Just put it on top of whole wheat pasta and give yourself a high five. 


The flavor of capers, dijon mustard and garlic will make anything taste fancy. Can you top it off with finishing oil because finishing oil makes everything better? Of course you can. 

Salmon (not pictured)

Sautéed Salmon with Capers, Tomatoes & Chard
2 cups whole wheat pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 red onion (shallot, or white onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon capers
1 salmon filet
salt and pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup swiss chard (kale, or spinach), chopped
1/2 lemon juiced
1/4 cup vegetable or seafood broth (splash white wine if you have it)
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
red pepper flakes
grated parmesan cheese

In a pot, cook pasta per instructions. 

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add red onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in garlic and capers and let cook another minute. Place salmon filet in pan along with tomatoes and greens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, then flip salmon over and add lemon, broth and dijon. Stir sauce around pan sauté until salmon is cooked through. 

Scoop salmon and vegetables on top of pasta. Top with red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, and finishing oil, if desired. 

Gratitude Journal Entry: I'm grateful for big comfy sweaters. It's actually getting downright cold in SF this week and I'm taking the opportunity to pull out the scarves, sweaters and boots! Gloves still might look ridiculous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment