Monday, November 16, 2015

Rosemary Sweet Potato & Spinach Grilled Cheese

Last week was all about family. It started with a trip down the peninsula on Monday to visit my Oma at Stanford Hospital recovering in post-op. (She's feeling better!) Thursday night in Oakland celebrating my sister's birthday with Sophie and my mom. Then Saturday night was girls night out in the city with Sophie before she heads off to South America for 2 months (!) 

And then before I knew it, it was Monday again. It was one of those Monday mornings when you just can't get out of bed. Turn on the coffee pot. Jump back in bed. Muster the courage to get up for the coffee. Get back in bed with coffee. Finish all of the coffee, and only then get out of bed to stand in the shower for an unnecessary amount of time. You know the kind. 

Gratitude Journal Entry: I'm forever grateful for coffee. You've been part of my daily ritual for over 15 years now. I wouldn't be where I am today without you. 

19,000 steps later, I walk back through my door and treat myself to one of my favorite sandwiches. (I actually had it for the second night in a row, but I was no less excited for it tonight). I made a side of balsamic roasted brussels sprouts and chopped persimmons #becausefall

*This sandwich was originally designed to be made with kale instead of spinach, but this substitute worked out just fine. 

Rosemary Sweet Potato & Spinach Grilled Cheese
*Makes 2-3 sandwiches
1 sweet potato, sliced into thin rounds
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 handfuls spinach (or kale), roughly chopped
3 slices Havarti cheese
drizzle balsamic vinegar 
4 slices cracked wheat sourdough bread

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet pan, cover with tin foil and arrange sweet potato slices. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes, until tender. 

In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté red onion for 10-15 minutes, until almost caramelized. Add in spinach and quickly toss around until just wilted. 

Arrange half of the cheese on bread, top with greens and onions, drizzle balsamic and sweet potato slices. Top with remaining cheese and bread. Grill in same skillet until golden on each side and cheese is melted. 





No comments:

Post a Comment