Saturday, July 30, 2011

Food Trucks and Space Ships

In the past two days, I’ve made pretty good work of exploring DC’s trendy food scene. As you’d expect, restaurant’s often get their name on the map in this city because of their famous owner/executive chef/etc. As is the case of El Centro where I went on Friday, a Richard Sandoval operation. Richard has an impressive resume of big time restaurants across the world, and this one didn’t disappoint. IMG_1190
Tucked away into Adams Morgan, the snazzy but authentic Mexican restaurant boasts 250 different types of tequila, table-side prepared guacamole and creative taco options. I stuck with white wine, I’m not sure I’m a tequila kind of girl, but Melissa and I couldn’t turn down the guac. I ordered the grilled cactus tacos. They were great! The cactus was tender and vegetable-like. Who knew?
Day two Evan and I went on a mission to find food trucks.
IMG_1195
These are all the rage and I, for one, was a little ashamed to not have tried one of them yet. The Dangerously Delicious truck cranks out all different types of pies. We split the SMOG (steak, mushroom, onion and gruyere) pie
IMG_1196
and the strawberry rhubarb pie.
IMG_1197
The smog was okay, but the strawberry rhubarb was deeelish. I should’ve sprung for the peanut butter chocolate chess pie too… Next time.
Our other food truck of the day was Red Hook Lobster Pound for a lobster roll. IMG_1193
This petit lobster roll set us back $15, but oh.em.gee. We ordered the “Connecticut style” where the lobster is butter poached and served warm. I had to sit there and bask in it’s glory after it was gone.
Last, and probably least exciting (in my opinion) thing we did this morning was go to the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.
IMG_1191
I have trouble summoning the patience it takes to explore museums. Not to mention when they’re about things like space ships and planes. Poor Evan will have to find a more suitable museum tourer to bring back there.
IMG_1192
Nevertheless, it felt like a productive Saturday morning Coffee cup

No comments:

Post a Comment