Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Orange Sesame Glazed Salmon

Another day spent eating my way through Portland. We don’t usually retrace our steps with restaurants since this city as so many of them, but Mom and I brought John and Sophie back to Meriwether’s to experience the Reuben and finally try the bread pudding we’d been eyeing.

IMG_1269

Melted chocolate bread pudding with a burnt sugar banana. I’ll admit it’s an aggressive after lunch treat, but it was moment-of-silence good.

I wasn’t going to mention this. It’s slightly embarrassing. Actually kind of gross, in my case. But I must share with you what a stellar bowler I am.

IMG_1270

At first I was discouraged because I only brought one sock. But after I found a local brew at the bowling alley’s bar and started whoopin’ the others butts, things improved. Maybe it helped to only have one sock on.

Don’t worry, I have since sanitized my foot to ward off any staph infections.

Speaking of embarrassing things, I must express the daily embarrassment I face as a food blogger. Not only with family and friends, but taking pictures of your croissant in a crowded bakery forces you to swallow your pride. Telling your family “no touching!” the dessert before you can snap a few pictures isn’t easy.

blogger

John captured me in the act at dinner last night. So much for being discrete.

IMG_1281

Tonight’s message on my teabag was very appropriate. I should embrace my food blogger identity with pride, so I’m working on my embarrassment - but it’s tough!

Back to tonight’s dinner. We decided on a salmon recipe from one of my new fav blogs: Simply Scratch.

IMG_1273

Half of the marinade becomes the salad dressing, which is yummy, salty-sweet.

IMG_1275

For a salad, we combined spinach, arugula, cabbage and added bell pepper, carrots and cucumber.

IMG_1276

And a side dish of grapefruit, bananas, blueberries with mint and honey.

IMG_1279

Orange Sesame Glazed Salmon

3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
Juice and zest from half an orange
Red pepper flakes
4 6-ounce wild caught salmon filets
sesame seeds
olive oil for pan

Whisk together the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Pour half the mixture over the fish filets, and reserve the other half for dressing the salad. Preheat the broiler while the fish marinate. Transfer fish to a foil covered pan and broil for 8-12 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the fish right before they’re finished cooking to briefly toast the seeds.

2 comments: