Monday, September 26, 2011

Spaghetti & Zucchini Bake

You learn a lot about yourself when you cook. This recipe was originally "spaghetti and zucchini pancakes" but I missed a little step along the way to sauté the onions and zucchini before mixing in the egg and cheese...I quickly improvised and dumped the whole thing into a baking dish and set the oven to 350. While Evan and I ate the delicious spaghetti and zucchini baked dish, I marveled about how quickly I can react on my feet when things go wrong. 

Evan said this just shows how I don't read directions closely enough.

IMG_1433

Spaghetti & Zucchini Bake

8 ounces spaghetti (1/2 box)
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, grated
2 egg, beaten
3/4 cup grated pecorino (1.5 ounces)
kosher salt
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 cup marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Cook spaghetti according to the package. Meanwhile, combine the vegetables with the spaghetti, egg, and pecorino. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Grease a 9x9 baking dish and pour in spaghetti mixture. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with marinara sauce. 

IMG_1435

Sautéed garlicky kale and a spinach, tomato, sweet pea salad.

IMG_1436

Earlier in the day I went to Whole Foods and used my Living Social deal ($10 for $20!) and stocked up. Grains are healthy and make for easy, quick meals and when bought in bulk they're so cheap. So I went to those dispensers and took about 1 cup from each. 

- French lentils
- red quinoa
- millet
- long grain brown rice
- bulgur wheat

Look forward to come new healthy concoctions!

No comments:

Post a Comment