Friday, September 30, 2011

Dark Chocolate Craisin Oatmeal Cookies

Tonight was the 5th book club meeting for our group. I have been a bad member. This is my second time attending and I didn't read the book. Fail. To redeem myself, I brought a print out of The Bean Tree SparkNotes and baked some cookies. We were told to bring "bean dishes" and since chocolate comes from beans...it counts. 

I found this recipe on the best baking blog ever: Lovin' In The Oven.

IMG_1443

Dark Chocolate Craisin Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick (8 Tbls. butter)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I chopped up a bar of dark chocolate)
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Cream the butter and sugars together. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again until well mixed. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Once blended, add the oatmeal, chocolate chips and cranberries until just combined.

Refrigerate the dough for at least two hours. Preheat the oven to 350. Scoop spoonfuls of the dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

I quick boxed these up and head to Arlington for book club where I was greeted with multiple delicious bean dishes and wine, of course. 

003004

There was a large pot of chili with fixin's, green beans, chips and hummus, 7 layer bean dip and desserts which were exempt from the bean rule. The Bean Tree was read by few, but still fun to talk about - even if we were pulling up "themes and motifs" on SparkNotes. Next month is 1984, which all of us have vowed to read... and it's Birthday themed, as it falls on a member’s birthday :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment