Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Making Something Out of Nothing

Before you go out of town you try to “clean out the fridge”. Lucky for me, my refrigerator is pretty much already cleaned out. Hence, none of the food I had left for dinner tonight made sense together. But when I’m only cooking for me, myself, and I, I’m not afraid of strange concoctions.
IMG_0478
Besides the cherry tomatoes, the only excuse of a vegetable I had left was romaine lettuce…woof. Romaine lettuce is the red-headed stepchild of the lettuce family (who only got to hang out with his pale cousin, Iceberg, at family reunions). Its only saving grace is the crunch it adds to turkey sandwiches, which is how it found its way into my vegetable drawer. Anyway, romaine, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and torn basil drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette (a play on Caprese) actually wasn’t bad. A hard boiled egg with sundried tomato pesto might be my new favorite way to eat a hard boiled egg. And of course, the laughing cow appetizer with tortilla chips.

Tonight wasn’t really about the food anyway, because tomorrow I am heading to California Party smileThumbs upRainbowTurtle! It finally came, and with it, my last day of work. I’ll do my best to document my time out there and fill you all in on all the glorious details.

When I lived out there, I never thought I’d be one of those people who was like: “ OH MY GAH $#@% I’m going to California!!” It takes moving away from it to really understand how the rest of the world feels (or should feel) about visiting the American Riviera. Poor Evan. He doesn’t realize he’s going to have to carry me kicking and screaming back to the airport on Sunday. Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment