Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Layer Bread with Vanilla Icing

Oh bread, why must you be so fickle? Luckily my third attempt using dry active yeast was a success. I didn’t want to give up on this recipe because it just looked so good. So after yesterday’s fluke, I went back to the store to buy more flour and vanilla extract and tried again! The cause for the failure was not “reactivating” the “dry active” yeast in warm water (110-115 degrees) rather than just adding it to the flour mixture like you would “instant” yeast.
IMG_0625
The recipe is spelled out here. It’s an intensive process but a good learning experience. I watched a couple youtube videos on How to Knead Bread – very helpful.
IMG_0629
Another fun cooking skill I learned was to brown butter. It smells amazing, giving the butter a nuttier flavor and brown color. IMG_0631
Roll the dough out really thin (with my new rolling pin – yay!)
IMG_0633The browned butter and cinnamon/nutmeg/sugar mixture is spread onto the prepared dough.
IMG_0635
Then cut the dough into six strips. Stack. Slice that into six squares. Place in bread dish all in a row.
IMG_0638
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Watch it puff.
IMG_0639
Try to let it rest 15-20 minutes before ripping into it. I brought this over to a friend’s house for our Monday night dinners. It went just fine with the quesadillas and salsa salad.
IMG_0640
My spin to the recipe was making a vanilla icing to drizzle on top of the cinnamon bread. Just like a delicious, flat cinnamon roll.
IMG_0628
Vanilla Icing

1 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 – 2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (I threw in a little vanilla bean because I had it around)
dash of salt

No comments:

Post a Comment