Monday, January 2, 2012

Apple Cran Bulgur & Kale Citrus Salad

I must have missed cooking a lot. I always feel that way after a huge trip to the grocery store. It’s a great feeling starting off the new year with a packed fridge and overflowing fruit bowl, with a calendar of healthy meals planned. The plan is to cut out meat and as many animal products (eggs, dairy- with a few exceptions) as I can, mainly because it will force me to get creative for meals and try new things. Oh my gosh…speaking of meat, I read about the lawsuit against Taco Bell for serving “beef” that’s only 35% actual beef. It fell short of the “minimum FDA requirements of beef to be labeled beef”. Ummm…why isn’t the minimum 100%? And why am I just now hearing about this? So sneaky.

So here’s some real food for ya.

IMG_1653

Apple, Cranberry & Mint Bulgur

1/2 cup bulgur
1 cup water
1/2 apple, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/3 cup dried cranberries
8-10 sugar snap peas, chopped
1/4 cup mint, minced
sprinkle of feta cheese
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper

Boil cup of water and pour over bulgur in a large bowl and cover for 30 minutes. Drain and add all of the ingredients and toss. I roasted a squash to go with the bulgur salad, but it would have been delicious on it’s own too.

Kale salad is the same recipe from a few days ago. Raw kale, half an orange, goat cheese, pecans and a squeeze of lemon and olive oil. Yum!

IMG_1652

No comments:

Post a Comment