Friday, January 6, 2012

Goat Cheese, Kale & Turnip Gratin

In keeping with my new years resolution, getting creative with healthy foods, I made a turnip gratin. Not keeping with my new years resolution, I ate the entire dish. I realize it could be worse than eating a pound of turnips in a night, but still! It was just so yummy, I must pat myself on the back for coming up with it. Most people I know – like me two days ago - had no idea how a turnip looked or tasted. It's a hybrid between a potato, carrot and radish. It has a slight tangy flavor (like a mild radish), which I found goes nicely with goat cheese. And they're healthy! Tons of vitamin C, fiber and low in calories. Which is a good thing, because it allowed me to enjoy my delicious draft beer and fried pickles at  Kitchen guilt free.

IMG_1664

As a sidebar, don't you find it funny that everything you read or hear on the radio, magazines, commercials, news stories - are about starting to eat healthy and how to eat low calorie and what healthy meals you should start cooking for your family? Why don't we have this sentiment as a goal all year round? I guess it's a good thing New Years Resolutions are still around, or when would people decide it was time to start cooking and eating well?

IMG_1662

One thing I will advise: do not attempt this recipe without a mandolin. It will be nearly impossible to get the turnips cut evenly and thin enough- they're dense! 

IMG_1665

Goat Cheese, Kale & Turnip Gratin

1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup coconut milk (or milk)
1/2 cup water
dash red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 pound turnips (3 similar sized small ones), peeled and sliced thin with mandolin
1/2 bunch kale, chopped
salt and pepper
1-2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 400. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add shallot then garlic. Cook until fragrant, about a minute or two and add the coconut milk, whisking constantly for 5-7 minutes, adding in water to thin it. Add goat cheese and spices, whisk until fully melted. Taste and make adjustments with cheese/spices. 

Toss turnips and kale in a bowl with salt and pepper then spread out in baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over vegetables and make sure they are fully covered. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove and sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until turnips are tender. Let rest for 5 minutes. Try not to eat it all by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment