Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chicken Sausage Carbonara

Today Michelle Obama (love her) unveiled the "Nutrition Plate" that is to replace the food pyramid as a guide to Americans on how their plates should look.

I, for one, am very on board with Michelle's mission of educating people -especially kids and parents- how to eat healthfully. It's probably the issue in which I’m most passionate. While planning healthy meals does take some time, creativity and money, its absolutely worth it. In my opinion, being healthy doesn't have to mean strict dieting and deprivation. I love and appreciate indulgent foods (example: Melissa's double chocolate birthday cake from yesterday). I just try to be aware of what I'm eating and make sure I don't over do it. Tonight I think I was able to roughly mirror the Nutrition Plate without too much effort.
Chicken Sausage Carbonara covers all bases!
IMG_0892
Grains: whole wheat pasta
Protein: chicken sausage and egg yolks
Fruits: grapes and banana
Vegetables: peas
Dairy: Greek yogurt, feta cheese + cup of almond milk (debatably dairy) IMG_0896
I loosely followed Real Simple's pasta carbonara with spicy sausage but adapted to my desired portion size and items in my refrigerator.
IMG_0895
(Recipe serves 2)
4 oz whole wheat noodles
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp olive oil
1 spicy chicken sausage
1 egg yolks
1/4 cup greek yogurt
splash of milk
1/4 cup feta cheese
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

Cook pasta per directions, and toss in peas right before pasta is done. Drain pasta but reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Cut chicken sausage into pieces and cook in oiled skillet until browned. Mix yolks, Greek yogurt and milk, add to pot with pasta, along with the pasta water, cheese, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until sauce is thickened and coasts the pasta. Add in chicken sausage and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment