Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cranberry Relish and Success in Honeycomb Brittle

As I said, my roommate and I are having a little dinner party tomorrow night. Everyone is planning to bring something, and then there's me who is bringing about 5 things. I recently found a cranberry relish recipe in a blog I was dying to try so I added it to the menu. Since you can make that in advance, I got that out of the way today. 
I put the sugar and pomegranate juice in a pot to simmer and reduce. Meanwhile, I chopped the apples and mint, excavated the seeds from the pomegranate, zested the orange, added the salt and the juice had still not reduced. 40 minutes later it finally reached a "syrupy" consistency, and I poured it over the whole mixture. It's definitely more tart than your average cranberry sauce/relish but the difference is that these cranberries were never cooked, meaning they still have all of their antioxidants!
Then lunch. Goat cheese and basil scramble with a side of peanut butter & banana toast.
I knew I had to attempt the honeycomb brittle at least one more time. So, with trepidation and a new recipe, I made another batch. Hallelujah! Third time's the charm. It took precisely 10 minutes, as the recipe said, to boil the sugar mixture before adding the baking soda and it came out a golden, fluffy cloud. 
This recipe used: 
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
4 tsp. honey
3 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. baking soda

The directions were much more specific than Martha's, which clearly helped. 
I dipped them in melted semi-sweet chocolate chips that I melted in a bowl over a pot of boiling water, and drizzled with melted white chocolate chips.
After they chilled in the fridge for a few minutes, I wrapped them up in a Martha Stewart inspired fashion. The perfect little party favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment