Sunday, October 17, 2010

Farmers Market Magic

Today was my first trip to the Dupont Circle Farmers Market.

My expectations were far surpassed. After battling the crowds, tasting a multitude of samples and snapping a few pictures, I ended up with an apple, a bunch of arugula, a tomato and the most exquisite homemade Cabra la Mancha chevre cheese. What brought my attention to this cheese was a herd of women ooh'ing and ahh'ing around an old woman's stand, and it was soon clear why. She simply said "I make good cheese." She wasn't lying.
After a quick bus ride back from Market, I whipped up a couple tuna melts with my brand-new organic tomato.
Delish!

What's-in-the-fridge Tuna Melt

Ingredients:

Bread (or English muffin)
1 can white tuna
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tsp. dijon mustard (to taste)
salt & pepper
1 tsp. capers
(Optional: celery, red pepper, onion, relish...the possibilities are endless)
2 slices of cheese (I used pepper jack)
1 tomato, sliced

Method:

Mix together tuna, mayo, mustard, salt & pepper, capers and other desired ingredients. Top a piece of toast with tuna, tomato and cheese. Broil or toast in toaster oven until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting here enjoying you what's-in-the-fridge tuna melt, and I couldn't have done it without you. I bought capers in the store last night (i didn't realize you had to wash them first?!) and tomatoes and bread, and forgot to get cheese, so I had to run out and buy a block before sticking it in the oven. I used Cheddar cheese and a touch of spice brown mustard and the real kicker: Smoked Oysters! Really delicious.

    ReplyDelete