Saturday, October 16, 2010

Production Day

As previously mentioned, today was all about checking things off my list. I may have checked off things that even weren’t on the list, which my pile of shopping bags gives away.

The adventure to Northern Virginia (fondly called Nova) was a glorious spree of strip malls and big lot stores, things you don’t find enough of in the district. Navigating from Target to AC Moore then happily stumbling upon an Old Navy, my two friends and I roamed the aisles complaining about the amount of money being spent but never hesitating to add to the cart. In the end, we summed it up to be a successful afternoon. Somehow, I’ve gone from having zero to two hobbies in 24 hours. First blogging and now…painting! AC Moore talked me into it with their 40% off sale. Now that my evening’s plan is firmly in place, I can focus on the star of the show: Spaghetti Squash.

I just discovered the spaghetti squash recently and found it a phenomenal substitute for pasta. I popped the yellow submarine into the oven for about an hour at 375, then took him out and sliced him open. After removing the molten lava and seeds from the center (I should have waited for it to cool down but that’s not something I’m good at), I shredded the inside with a fork producing enough spaghetti squash flesh to feed a small army. I added butter and garlic to a pan to do their thing, and then dumped in the squash with halved cherry tomatoes. I finished it off with chopped basil and grated parmesan, paired with cottage cheese, apple slices and grapes.
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Garlic & Cherry Tomatoes



Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
2 tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
Parmesan, grated
Handful basil, chopped
Method:
Bake spaghetti squash on a sheet pan at 375 for 1 hour, or until knife sliced through squash without resistance.
Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Use a fork to scrape out squash strands. Heat a saucepan with butter and garlic over medium-low heat until garlic is fragrant. Add cherry tomatoes briefly before adding the squash into the pan. Toss to coat, and top with parmesan and basil.
Recipe credit: Steamy Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment