Sunday, October 24, 2010

Probably the Perfect Day

Today was a beautiful day. Weatherwise, activitywise & foodwise. Started the morning with a pleasant walk to Starbucks to get my favorite fall drink: coffee with a shot of pumpkin spice. The wonderful flavor of their pumpkin spice latte sans all the fat/most of the sugar.

 I ended up at Evans making my typical-but always a crowd pleaser-egg sandwich. 
 This version had fresh French bread, a fried egg and pepper jack cheese. 
From there I cleaned my house, went to Target, then Best Buy, decided I needed a MacbBook Pro in my life (someday), yadda yadda yadda, ended up at Marvelous Market for an afternoon snack. 
We took that afternoon snack to "Bob's Bench" overlooking the Potomac, a little slice of heaven.
 I discovered a new favorite breakfast food: muesli cereal. This particular version had sliced apples, yellow raisins, candied walnuts, strawberries and blueberries in it. Couldn't have been happier with it.
 An impromptu hike led us over a bike path bridge and down to the C & O canal. Following that was a ride through the most gorgeous neighborhoods in DC, commenting on the amazing houses. So, it was pretty much the perfect day.

Dinner was kind of random since I hadn't planned it out before going to the grocery. I ended up with a spinach salad with goat cheese and dried cranberries, a sweet potato with butter and cinnamon, a hard boiled egg and pita chips with guacamole. Evan had ground turkey tacos in place of my hard boiled egg - as he is scared of hard boiled eggs. 
Earlier, Mom told me about the movie Food Matters and how our health is so tied into what we eat and America is generally failing at eating well & staying healthy...which clearly impacted my dinner choices tonight. But I'm happy about it! I'm going to stay MUCH more conscious of choosing healthy alternatives when I can - easier said than done when I love baking as much as I do! Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment