Tuesday, January 25, 2011

CA inspired Chimichangas

That’s not exactly true. My mother was actually the inspiration for tonight’s chimichangas when I called her after work and said “I don’t know WHAT to make tonight” and she said “chimichangas?” Regardless, I am in a California state of mind. Evan and I are flying to Santa Barbara in less than one month! I have been wanting to go back and visit/show him my hometown for years, literally. A lovely family friend of ours offered to let us stay at her house, therefore making it reasonably affordable. Open-mouthed smileA large part of my excitement is escaping this vicious cold weather. Since all year round Santa Barbara looks a lot like this:
SB

When I lived in SB, I don’t remember being cold. January? What? Let’s go to the beach tomorrow!

My current forecast looks something like this:

DC
I’m not bitter, I promise…I’ve just learned to appreciate a good thing.

IMG_0336
In honor of our trip, I picked up some Coastal Wheat Sam Adams. The chimichangas are made with all of your basic Mexican dish ingredients: IMG_0339
-flour tortillas
-refried beans
-onion
-rice
-salsa
-cheddar cheese
-tomato
-lettuce
-sour cream


Fried up to crispy perfection.
IMG_0341
Spread refried beans, sautéed onions, rice and cheese into the tortillas and fold all four corners in.
 IMG_0343
Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a deep skillet until very warm. Place in chimichangas and fry for about one minute per side, or until brown. Serve topped with tomato, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc.
IMG_0345IMG_0347
It was almost like we were there! Now I have an exciting looking Tupperware bowl full of yummy leftovers for lunch Plate New Bachelor tonight! Let’s hope Brad has enough sense to get rid of some of those crazy girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment