Monday, January 17, 2011

Sweet Potato + Brie Mac & Cheese

This MLK day came at the perfect time. I was in much need of a GetMyLifeTogether day. The fridge was empty, clothes were piled, dust bunnies were chasing me around the house, the sink was full of dishes, and questionable stains had appeared on the floors. My roommate and I made a list and hit the grocery store, stocking up on food and cleaning supplies, then got down and dirty cleaning our apartment.
IMG_0308IMG_0309
It was unfortunate when mid-mop the Swiffer broom snapped in half…especially after stocking up on wet and dry Swiffer pads. But that didn’t stop us. It’s a much happier place now.
IMG_0313IMG_0312
To observe this holiday, I’m making sweet potato and brie mac and cheese, which I discovered on Healthy Food for Living. IMG_0307

~Sweet Potato + Brie Mac Cheese~

- 8 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz neufchatel or cream cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup brie cheese (rind removed)
- pinch ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper

I couldn’t find sweet potato puree at the store so I baked a large sweet potato at 400 for an hour, then mashed it with a fork.

Cook pasta and drain, set aside. Whisk together sweet potato and milk over medium heat until simmering. Reduce heat and add cheese.

IMG_0322
Stir until completely melted, and add nutmeg. Mix in pasta until combined and let sit for a minute to firm up sauce. Serve with a dusting of nutmeg, if desired. IMG_0321

No comments:

Post a Comment