Sunday, January 2, 2011

Turkey Chili

Today was dedicated to recuperation, involving a lot of rest, television and comfort food. The comfort food of choice was chili because it made enough food to feed Evan’s roommates and I got to use my new pot I just ordered off Amazon SmileThis was by far my biggest accomplishment of the day. Thanks to a suggestion from my friend Gracie, a recipe index is in progress!!
 IMG00015-20110102-1803
I looked for a basic recipe online and found this one for turkey chili. The ingredients I used are:
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper *I accidentally grabbed crushed red pepper instead, and it added a nice punch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
  2. Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
IMG00016-20110102-1830 (1) We topped it with shredded sharp white cheddar, sour cream, green onions and tortilla chips. Tragically there are no leftovers, but I’ll take that as a good sign.

1 comment:

  1. If you simmer it longer, will it get thicker? I suppose that's just science..

    ReplyDelete